Monday, May 2, 2011

DIY Badges

If, like me, you enjoy listening to obscure music you will find it hard to find cheap band merchandise. So, I always try to make my own. Badges are really easy to customise, and I'll show you how. You get to put any image you want on the badge, and it's a unique craft that no one else will have.

Items you need:
- Badges you no longer want. Can be old badges from a band you don't like, or buy a pack of crappy ones from a local $2 store. I got a pack of crappy Twilight related badges from the $2 Store. I'm planning on making a bunch of different badges. Also, I really dislike Twilight.
- Mod Podge. You can get this from a craft store. In Australia I got mine at Spotlight. It's used to stick, and seal items.
- Image you want on badge. Print one out from your computer. I usually measure the badge, then create a template in a art program then edit the image I want to it fits. Or you can just wing it and get any small image and cut it out.
- Obvious things like scissors and a paint brush. You should have these laying around like I do.


Step One: Cut out the image you want and make sure it fits badge. I have a bunch of Robert Smith images, so I cut out one to use as a badge.


Step Two: Take your paintbrush and Mod Podge. Use a little Mod Podge on the surface of the badge and stick the image to it. If you don't know how to glue an item to another item, then you're an idiot. Also paint a layer of Mod Podge over the top of the image. Make sure there is no wrinkles. Leave the badge somewhere to dry.


Step Three: Once dry, do another coat of Mod Podge over the badge. Make sure edges are glued down properly. Leave to dry again.


Now you have your very own awesome badge. This is seriously the most easiest craft project ever. Low cost, with a unique item at the end. So far I've made a Bauhaus, and David Bowie badge. I was planning on making a YouTube tutorial for this too, but it'll have to wait.
Go forth and craft!

1 comment:

Miss Nix said...

"if you don't know how to glue an item to another item, then you're an idiot" - I love you! I laughed so hard when I read that...