Monday, November 19, 2012

American Mary @ Luna Cinemas

 
Last Thursday I was lucky enough to see a new horror film. American Mary was directed by two Canadian twin sisters Sylvia and Jen Soska (The Soska Sisters). They came to Australia to meet us and show us the film! I was so excited to meet them!
The movie was held at Luna Cinemas in Leederville. I attended the movie by myself, but was surprised to find my friends Holly and Nikki there.
 

 
American Mary follows Mary Mason (Katharine Isabelle from Ginger Snaps) as she struggles in her life. She's studying to be a surgeon at medical school, but she has money troubles. After losing another job, she tries to find a job as a go-go bar but instead is asked to use her surgery skills. Her skills drop her into the world of extreme body modification. A horrible situation sends her spiraling into madness, while her enjoyment for unnecessary surgery grows.
 
I think this film is the best I've seen all year. If you enjoy horror, I recommend this 100%. I wasn't grossed out at all during the film, and there were no "cat in a box" type scares. I love the use of real effects over CGI. A female driven movie is a wonderful thing, and the Soska sisters are young masters. I can't wait to see what they come up with next!
Everything about the film was beautiful, and it stuck around in my head for a while. Go and see this film if you can!!
 

They were so sweet and cute!!
 
Q&A session after the film. I asked about alternative endings for the film.
 
 Such nice outfits!
 
I got this signed!!
 
Holly with the sisters
 
Nikki with the sisters
 
Me again, because I loved them so much. I wanted to take them home and be friends with them forever! Such lovely girls.

1 comment:

Laura Morrigan said...

It does sound interesting. Body modification fascinates me, and I adore Katherine Isabelle. I love Ginger! It is so cool you got to meet the directors! And I love to see female directors doing their own thing, directing is still a bit male dominated!