Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bridgetown

On Monday and Tuesday (12th and 13th November) I traveled to Bridgetown with my best friend Merissa. Bridgetown is around three/four hours south of Perth. We stayed at a farm belonging to a family who Merissa has been visiting ever since she was little. It backs onto state forrest, and it's a very pretty stop. Seeing as Merissa is leaving in December (lame) she decided we should go to Bridgetown because she's been promising to take me for ages.

I was so excited to go, which surprised me because I haven't been excited about something in a very long time. I had heaps of fun, I love the Australian countryside. Especially down south where it's cooler. If you go north of Perth it's hot and icky.

LOTS OF PHOTOS AFTER THE BREAK!

First stop, the award winning Pinjarra bakery.
 
YUM!
 
Driving. We used Merissa's mums car, as it's more reliable than Merissa's :P
 
 
We stopped at a few more places along the way to Bridgetown. This is Balingup Lavender Farm.
 
I love lavender. We ate lunch here, we could hear a cow mooing somewhere. There were so many flies!! We had to buy some insect repellent!
 
Another stop, The Old Cheese Factory in Balingup
 
They had lovely bat prints, vintage but very expensive!
 
 
Finally arrived at the farm. We stayed in one of these triangle houses. The family has these to rent out to people, but they still live off the land.
 
Merissa opening the door. I totally failed whenever I tried!!
 
Inside. Up in the loft there were two mattresses. We shared the twin bed because we're used to sharing :)
Such a nice little place.
 
The view of the dam from the front of the triangle house. And geese.
 
We took a walk around the farm. Here is Merissa looking cute!
 
Me with a cow in the background. PARASOL, SUNSCREEN, INSECT REPELLENT. Only way to live.
 
There were a few peacocks around, they could go wherever they wanted. I wanted to steal their feathers!
 
AAAH! WE GOT TO FEED THE ANIMALS!
This yard had two donkeys, a miniature horse, and baby goats and sheep :)
 
STOP EATING MY SHOELACE!!
 
I was so excited!
 
No carrot for you little goat.
 
They were so cute!
 
 
 
After hanging out at the farm we went to get dinner in Bridgetown. Afterwards we ate this sundae which was the best I've ever had!
 
The next day we got up early so we could feed all the animals. We had to wait a while, because a school group was coming to feed the animals too. We took another look around the farm.
Here are the turkeys, and a duck that kept hissing at us and wagging his tail. Merissa poked him with a stick "What are you gonna do now duck? You're stuck behind that fence! HAHA!"
 
This cow was so pretty!!
 
Got to see our donkey buddy again.
 
I GOT TO HOLD A BABY RABBIT! AAAAAAAAAAAH! LOOK AT HIS TAIL!!
 
Featuring school children.
 
So darn cute <3 p="p">
 
Water buffalo
 
Emus!
 
I got to feed them!!
 
Cow getting ready for milking. Each kid got a turn at milking her.
 
I got to milk her too!! It was easy, and I drank a little but I don't really like milk.
Notice fresh poop on the ground, reasons why you should never stand behind an animal :P
 
I had so much fun with Merissa. I'm so thankful that she drove me down there and spent two days with me. I really enjoyed seeing the stars at night, and I wish I got a little more time to relax. Maybe when Merissa visits Australia we can go in Winter :) I'd love to have a fire and roast marshmallows.

5 comments:

J.Bane said...

I am jealous of your fantastic trip! Nothing makes me happier than baby animals. :) Baby goats are hilarious with their jumping and butting and doing anything to get food. And of course baby rabbits are the essence of cute. I am so glad you were excited about the trip and had a great time. You look so happy in all the photos. :D

Insomniac's Attic said...

What beautiful photos! Australia is a lot greener than I imagined it would be. That lavender farm looks amazing - it's too bad the antique bat prints were so expensive. The little triangle house looks like a perfect place to stay! Glad you had such a good time!! :o)

Michelle said...

What a great place! I love these little gems in the country ;)

Dank said...

Yay! That looked like a lot of fun!
OH AND I LOVE BALINGUP. Balingup is awesome. I would totally move there! (did you go to the adorable antique stores they have there?)
And I've only been to Bridgetown once though D:

D'awh. All the cute lil' animals!

Zenny said...

Look I'm posting a year later and that's creepy >:o

No, but really I typed in 'Balingup' on google and your blog shot up at me. Love your hairdo in these photos.