Thursday, January 23, 2014

Rome Day 1: Colosseum and Roman Forum

I was on the train from Paris to Rome all day. My whole trip around Europe was by train, which I both loved and hated. I loved the views but hated how long it took. Read more after the page break!



I arrived into Rome in the evening, and tried to figure out how to get to my hostel which was far away from the Termini station. I asked man at the info booth, but he was very rude and said he knew nothing about buses (which I doubted).
I felt very anxious, I was in a strange place filled with people that didn't speak my language. The night air was heavy and humid and I just wanted to go to bed. So I walked to my hostel, which was 40mins away by foot. Up and down hills with my heavy luggage. I just powered on, getting more annoyed, but I finally made it to my hostel. I used the Sygic navigation system which worked really well.
I stayed at Orsa Maggiore which is a women's only hostel which is located in a woman's centre. They also had free breakfast, my favourite item being pineapple (ananas) yogurt (which is not available in Australia). I had a shower and went to bed after the long day.

I got up early the next day for my visit to the Colosseum. It was very humid with drizzling rain. I walked there, it took around 40mins. I saw this on the way, I love that in Rome the ancient coexists with the modern. There were hawkers everywhere trying to sell umbrellas and ponchos, they'd get right in my face and I'd have to say "No!". But then there was another one three steps away.

My walk took me to overlook the Roman Forum, breathtaking!

The Colosseum! I had purchased my ticket online, so I didn't have to line up with the general public. There is a separate line for people who booked online. I had also downloaded a free audio guide and put it on my ipod before I left Australia.

There were quite a lot of tourists and groups.

After the Colosseum I made my way to the Roman Forum. You get free entry to the Forum with your Colosseum ticket. I actually enjoyed the Roman Forum better than the Colosseum!

If my memory serves me correct, this arch was made to display how Rome conquered everyone.

Here is me, dying in the heat!

Ancient Roman door.

Caesar's tomb

Inside Caesar's tomb. This is where his body was burnt.

Showing the amount of tourists. There was one woman wearing high stilettos! I don't know how she walked, everything was cobblestones.

I loved the Forum. It was the hub of ancient Rome and housed temples, markets and gathering places. I could really get the feel of how Romans used to live. I downloaded an audio guide for the Forum, which was really helpful pointing out the places of interest.

This is the building of my hostel.

Next: The Crime Museum and Capuchin Crypts.

2013 Trip:
Paris Day 1 [here]
Paris Day 2 [here]
Paris Day 3 [here]

Rome Day 1 [here]
Rome Day 3 [here]
Rome Day 3 [here]

Vienna Day 1 [here]
Vienna Day 2 [here]
Vienna Day 3 [here]

Berlin Day 1 [here]
Berlin Day 2 [here]
Berlin Day 3 [here]

UK [here]

5 comments:

MmePolaire said...

How fun! I'm so jealous! I'm also in awe of you for visiting a totally foreign country by yourself - that takes guts!
All those tourists reminded me of that line in Bettlejuice- "Things look pretty quiet here. You should that god you didn't die in Italy!".

MmePolaire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maria Alexander said...

wow, how lovely!! The pictures are stunning, it looks like a very special place! And downloading an audio before and buying a ticket online- that´s smart!!! I should write those helpful tips down in case I would visit there one day!

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

Gorgeous pictures! What a wonderful place to visit.

Insomniac's Attic said...

I remember the first time I went to Europe and I couldn't get anybody to give me directions to the Brighton hostel.I ended up wandering around with my backpack in a residential area and finally some woman took pity on me (probably saw the tears starting) and asked me what I was trying to find. Turns out the hostel was closed that day so she took me in, let me spend the night in the children's room, and then fed me breakfast the next morning. I'll never forget that kindness. It's not easy traveling alone, but I'll never regret the experience. :o)