Friday, August 24, 2012

Picasso to Warhol Exhibition Perth

A few weeks ago on a Wednesday, I took the day off work and visited the Perth culture area. Perth has the State Library, Museum, and Art Gallery all in the one place.

I first went to the State Library where they were having a book sale. The library has it's own book shop that sells discards from the State Library. I love the library, there are so many books. It's the hub of all public libraries in Western Australia. If you're a member of any library in WA you can request a book that's at another library (this is called an inter-library loan). Anyway, enough of my librarian talk. I got a few books.

I bought these on how interesting they seemed. Vigor Mortis seems to be about death culture. Geisha is a book about Geisha's. Typhoid Mary is really crap, I read it on my lunch break at work last week.

I then visited a cafe for breakfast and people watched for a while. I'm really lucky that I work in a job that allows flexi time. We have to work most public holidays, but we get the day off in lieu later. That's how I got to have a Wednesday off. I liked going to the Art Gallery on a weekday, because there are less crowds.
After breakfast I headed into the Art Gallery to see the Picasso to Warhol exhibition.

The exhibition is a collaboration between Perth and The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York. I'm so lucky that I got to see all these wonderful works that I probably wouldn't of seen otherwise. Although I will probably visit New York in the future. The exhibition features works from fourteen different artists. I used the free audio tour that was available, but I didn't like it. It kind of jumped around and didn't flow together properly.
Photography was allowed, so I got lots of photos.

Picasso

View of the gallery



Piet Mondrian artwork. They had a series of his art from when he began up to the picture below. You can really see how he enjoyed line work in his early works.
"Trafalgar Square" by Piet Mondrian

Sculptures by Henri Matisse. He was trying to get the human head down to basic shapes, and each head is more broken down than the last.

"Propellers" by Fernand Léger

"Woman with a book" by Fernand Léger

I really enjoyed Fernand Léger's work.

"In Advance of a Broken Arm" by Marcel Duchamp. Hanging snow shovel

"The Song of Love" by Giorgio De Chirico

"The Enigma of a Day" by Giorgio De Chirico. I loved Giorgio De Chirico's work, I'm a big fan of surrealist work, and he's considered one of the influences of Surrealism.

Joan Miró

Joan Miró

Alexander Calder. I loved the way his work produced shadow. Apparently Alexander Calder didn't used welding or glue to hold his works together, he used twists and knots.

Alexander Calder

Alexander Calder

Jackson Pollock. They we showing a short film about how Jackson Pollock produced his work, it was very interesting.


Line drawing by Louise Bourgeois

"The Dove" by Romare Bearden. Collage.

"Patchwork Quilt" by Romare Bearden. Collage.

Jasper Johns

The famous Warhol soup cans. I'm not a huge fan of Warhol, I always thought that it was a bit lazy that he didn't do most of the 'producing' artwork himself. He got his assistants to screen print most of these.


They were showing Warhol screen tests. No photos were allowed, but I sneaked one. Here is Lou Reed with coke. I sat down on the carpet and was going to watch them all, but I had to leave and meet a friend


I got this print from the gallery shop for $5. It was originally $50!

I really enjoyed the exhibition. I spent around two and a half hours looking at the different works. It's such a cool thing being able to see the art that was produced by such talented people.

1 comment:

Jurassic Goth said...

This exhibition looks really good and brilliant to get a discounted print of Rossetti's Beata Beatrix too! Thanks for posting lots of photos, I enjoyed looking at them and I'm glad you had a good time :-)